Modification or Relocation

Modifying a Court Order

Sometimes after your court order is entered things change and the parenting plan or child support ordered by the court is no longer in the best interests of your child or is no longer is practical. In these cases, we can request that the court modify the current order by filing a Motion to Modify. In order to modify a court order, you must be able to show that there has been a change in circumstances since the last order was entered. Changes or circumstances can mean job changes, income changes, moves, remarriage, or many other things.


Parents often want to move or are faced with a moving co-parent after the custody order has been put in place. Missouri has very specific requirements for moving or responding to a co-parents request to move. Failing to follow these requirements can result in serious consequences. If you would like to move with your children, it is very important to speak to an attorney before taking any steps to move. Alternately, if your co-parent has expressed a desire to move with the children, you have a limited amount of time to object so it is important to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. Even if the parents agree to a move a modification of the parenting plan to fit the new living arrangements is usually necessary.